Ilocos region abounds in handsome churches and beautiful attractions. Out of 12 churches in Ilocos, we visited three; San Agustin church in Paoay, Ilocos Norte, Vigan Cathedral and San Augustine church in Bantay, Ilocos Sur
San Agustin Church Paoay, Ilocos Norte
St Augustine church widely known as Paoay church and commonly known as ‘’earthquake Baroque’’ a roman catholic church in the Philippines. It is considered as an absolute masterpiece of the old baroque architecture.
Paoay Church Bell Tower
Beside the Paoay church is a bell tower dating from 1793, you can go upstairs to see the aerial view of the whole ground but first, look for the caretaker to assist you.
San Augustine church in Bantay, Ilocos Sur
One of the oldest churches of Ilocos Sur, built in 1590 with Fr. Montoya Osa as the parish priest. It was named after the patron saint by the Augustine friars. It was also badly damaged during the World war 11 but was reconstructed in 1950. The richly restored façade carefully preserved with the combination of both; Neo-Gothic and Pseudo-Romanesque design with the fighting scene during uprising of Diego Silang way back in 1763.
According to the early ancestors, the image of Our Lady of Charity was found by fisherman inside a wooden box floating in the river of Bantaoay. Other people that time cannot move the image as only the people of Bantay were able to carry the miraculous image. Our Lady of Charity as the named given due to many miracles interceeding numerous devotees.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Charity, Shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Caridad as the patroness of Ilocandia.
Looking up at the dome-shaped cupola, the clean white curved can be seen up there.
The principal means of defense and a symbol of protection from enemies. It also serves as the elevated observation point during the Spanish period.
Built in 1641, became a cathedral when the seat of the Diocese of Nueva Segovia was transferred from Lallo Cagayan to Vigan in 1758. It was occupied by the revolutionists in 1896 and American forces in in 1899. It was only a chapel of wood and thatch that time and damaged twice by 2 earthquakes in 1619 and 1627 and by fire in 1739.